Taking a little respite from all the flood prevention work - spending some time building the doors and window frames for the extension I'm slowing building to our home.
The exterior doors are very tough, and heavy - solid accoya with hardwood marine ply strips in rebates running the whole length and top and base of the lower panels.
I've made the window frame for the upstairs pediment window and little qwerky to maximise the amount of window we get - the views around here are amazing.
The stream behind our garden overflowed and brought waves of mud through the Green Bug workshop overnight. We abandoned the clean-up after a few hours after seeing it was coming again and diverted the stream away onto the drive, laid sandbags (left overs from previous building jobs - thankfully) and dug channels .
However, the main pipe carrying the stream water blocked completely on the second day and nothing could clear it. We tried rodding, digging out, I went in the water 3 times trying to pull out what I could find with my hands. A kind farmer neighbour dug out part of the bank with his JCB so we have a new overground stream for now. It's just running clear of the workshop door and back into the stream again.
The "Tim" greenhouse is 4m long by 2.5m wide with a porch which extends out by 1m. The porch isn't quite as wide as the rest of the building which brings the ridge down just a little - adding a little extra interest to the front.
I've built quite a few of these now - the first was for Tim who lives in Southampton.
This feels like a great spot for the greenhouse, virtually filing this corner of the garden - the only downside is this deep concrete path laid right through the middle of it. Rather than excavate all this and skip it I'll work around it. The path is deep enough to work as a foundation where the wall meets it but I've got to make sure my wall levels and flooring eventually meet the same height (thankfully the path is level).
Even after digging out the interior the ground was pretty loose. You can see how messy it is outside the greenhouse. So I fetched a load more material from the building merchants and opted for a full dry bed of sharp sand : cement to support the flagged flooring - there's no way that floor will ever move.
Now back to the workshop to finish off building the greenhouse and order up the glass. I'll back here in a couple of weeks or so.
Since my last update in July I've been working every weekend on an extension to the house - to provide much needed extra facilities - we only have one toilet and a bath so there's always a queue. We can't wait to have a shower again!
Click on each