Building the base for a "Mike" greenhouse this week - 2.2m wide by 2.8m long, with an internal, brick-sided raised bed and brick pathway with gravel to the side.
I'll brush kiln dried sand into the pathway to complete it once I've put the greenhouse up in a couple of weeks time.
I built the walls for this greenhouse a few weeks ago in all the rain and mud (https://www.green-bug.co.uk/blog-pages/mud-in-gloucestershire). I've included a "before" photo opposite just a reminder that Green Bug greenhouse include all the work involved in building your greenhouse - foundations to the finials, so you don't have to worry about getting other trades in.
The above shows the flooring is in (just waiting for the kiln dried sand to be brushed in) the shelving in place and the roof verge detail with the rounded leading edges of glass.
Finally, a word from my customer - "It looks absolutely fantastic and gets huge complements from everyone who sees it. I’m looking forward to the kids leaving for uni so I can get another! You did a really good job, thank you."
There used to be a greenhouse here but it gradually rotted away and the owners had it removed when it became unsafe. I'm replacing it with an accoya greenhouse, which should never rot and had a guarantee for 50 years and a life expectancy in excess of 60 years. The glass is toughened so it's also safe and very secure - and allows me to glaze the roof in one sheet rather than overlapping smaller sections as you would with normal glass.
The tricky bit was building the greenhouse to line up exactly with the line left against the wall so I made a first visit to check the roof angle measurements and to undertake the leadwork. For the first sheets of glass meeting the wall I had them cut so they go around the chimney breast - thankfully they were a perfect fit.
The greenhouse has lots of ventilation - 4 auto-opening roof windows and 4 manual windows along the sides. I re-used the aluminium ridge cresting which had been salvaged from the old greenhouse.
I also added steel bars under the roof to support hanging baskets and built 2 long potting benches along both sides.
Over these past weekends I've been working on an extension to our new home. It's all been approved by the local council , building control and other interested parties. The house is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty so it has to look right - much the same as the rest of the house which have parts dating back to 1858.
The first job was to demolish the old flat roof car port - using my sds drill and sledge hammers and calling on the kids and Jo's help an much as I could.
The river burst it's banks during the works and was an inch away from flooding the house. We worked on diverting it for 2 days and kept a 24 hours watch on the levels (I finished my shift at 4:30am and Jo took over). Nothing got in the house and we're laying wider pipes to take more stream water away and prevent it happening again.
Click on each