This is another of the popular "Steve" type greenhouse built entirely from accoya with 4 auto-opening roof windows and 2 side windows. The greenhouse can accomodate a lot of shelving as the sides are very tall. On request, I made a movable potting station rather than fixing it permanently.
The shelves can simply be lifted off the brackets for cleaning or to allow extra height for plants growing beneath. My customer will add some good top soil into the raised bed in time - a good place for tomatoes and other thirsty plants.
And this is only the start.
My customer has booked a team of groundworkers starting just days after I left - to lay new slate patios, walkways, and a raised pathway leading to the greenhouse door with planting beds either side. I'm dying to see the next stage.
Thank you again for all your hard work. It puts a smile on my face every time I look out at the garden now! I’m very much looking forward to having the rest of the work completed and will send you pictures as promised.
Thank you again and hope you get some rest after laying the oak flooring this weekend.
This was a large undertaking. 8 auto-opening roof windows, 8 manual opening side windows, 6m of cold frames, 8m long by 4m wide, fitted throughout with shelving and heavy duty workbenches. Built entirely from Accoya which carries a 50-year guarantee.
I'm VERY happy with this. Time for some smaller greenhouses now please.....
My customers asked me to build a greenhouse over this alleyway. It makes great use of this space and the greenhouse feels quite spacious inside and taller than I'd hoped it would be - the doors are almost 2m high and the roof rests comfortably above that.
My customer had sent me some photos of where the greenhouse is going so I knew there would be some concreting to do to extend the concrete slab outwards. Of course I didn't know what the depth or width of the new base would be so I ordered up more than I thought I would need, then made some trips to local suppliers to get more material.
The first job was to remove the turf for the foundation. I laid plastic visqueen sheeting over the soil (to stop the concrete going hard too quickly) and poured a 6 inch deep slab in one pour.
I hope you got home safely and thank you again for coming down to build the base of the green house. It looks amazing and we can’t wait to see the completed greenhouse. Your work ethic and workmanship is truly wonderful.
I made another trip down to the Surrey massive this week carrying 97 sheets of glass many at 2.5m long (8ft in old money) to make a start on the structure of this greenhouse.
I glazed most of the roof and sides and all 3 gable ends. However, I wanted to mock up the valleys on site so I could work out the angles of the glass before ordering these up. This will be completed in the final visit where I'll complete the roof and sides, cold frames along the front, fit the ridge and install a set of work tables and shelving for what will become a gardening school.
I made a good start on the alleyway greenhouse. The gap is wedge shaped - getting wider at one end so I made sure all the timber was oversized so I could cut it down to fit on site. Finally I could measure up for all the different glass shapes for the roof. I was delighted at the eventual height - it feels much more spacious inside and the doors are almost 2m tall.
I'll return to the workshop to order the glass and build the doors now and return here in a couple of weeks to complete.
I spent most of this week building and painting another "Steve" greenhouse in accoya. I won't install it for a few weeks yet as I need to build the walls, and order up the glass beforehand but most of the structure can be made from plan in readiness.
I'll be on the road, and sleeping in my van, for the next 3 weeks - first to a greenhouse over an alleyway in Gloucestershire, then back to that really large one to put the structure up before laying the base for this "Steve" greenhouse in Surrey.
This one's massive - 8m long by 4m with a porch and long cold frames along the front. I've spent some time producing and painting most of this greenhouse beforehand so I can deliver a lot of it when I go down to build the walls. The photo above shows the roof rafters laid out after painting in the sunshine.
For the first time in years, it tool me two separate visits to complete this base build. There were a few snags - the wrong engineering bricks were delivered (which they swapped over) and I found the soil here was very loose - not compacted enough to build walls on. I ended up digging out the whole area around 18 inches deep (barrowing out around 30 tonnes of soil) to reach compacted ground hard enough to start the foundations.
The inside floor will have an intricate tiled design undertake by local contractors at a later date. As preparation I laid and compacted quarry stone blinded with sharp sand so they have a solid base to work on.
I'll build this greenhouse in two further stages. As most of the structure is completed and on site already I will install the glass for the roof and sides and then return to complete the valleys, cold frames and shelving shortly after that.
There are planning restrictions which apply even for greenhouses - the main one being if you build within 2m of a shared boundary the roof height should not be greater than 2.5m. I have built a few designs where the roof height is under 2.5m and the Richard is one. You can find lots of useful guidance and rules which apply on the planning portal website - the link is given in the box below.
Although small, it still feels roomy inside with plenty of space for shelving and height for growing up from the ground in pots or on the 2 tiers of shelving space. There is plenty of ventilation with 2 auto-opening roof windows and two manual windows in the sides which can be left open. This greenhouse has a lot of detail and bags of character.
Click on each