I spent this week in Yorkshire re-roofing an old barn for some friends - but what a job. I got up at 5:30 and worked through until 8:30 most days, finishing around 5 on Friday night.
My good friend Paul, who is the owner of the barn, worked with me the whole time.
The ridge line had sagged causing the tiles to lift and allowing water penetration. First we acro'd up the ridge line from within and installed horizontal beams and vertical supports from that.
On stripping the roof it was clear the rafters were too thin to support the roof so we doubled the rafters with new ones, cut new ridge board to level out the line and fetched the new rafters to that level point to make the whole roof level again.
Next we installed solid insulation in the sloping ceiling void and filled the top roof void with firbreglass insulation. Top quality breathable felt was used so we could maximise the insulation without worrying about ventilation space.
We installed eave support trays and comb fillers before tiling back in.
Next was the leadwork around the chimney pipe and wall abutments and all the mortarwork to the gable and ridging.