We had a problem from the start though. The greenhouse was to be sited on a raised planting area in the garden but the ground was just loose top soil. If I’d attempted to lay foundations they would have gradually sunk into the ground over the years.
There were stormy days and cold evenings on this job. Thankfully I managed to move the order of things around and covered up the brickwork each night to keep away the cold and rain - and finished everything in my usual 3-day visit.
Luckily a digger was available doing groundworks around the rest of the site so we managed to get tonnes of top soil removed and a base of compacted aggregate laid. I had to leave and return some weeks later whilst this was undertaken though - so my visit was a little staggered this time.
Looks like a proper building site here - muddy!
I’ve left a small access hole for the water and electricity to go through later.Now the base is down the rest of the garden planting and paving areas will be designed around it.
Here you see that I’d marked out the footprint of the greenhouse after leveling off the base. I laid wet slurry of concrete and bedded my engineering course of bricks directly into that - creating a solid concrete base bonded down into the aggregate.
Sorry about the poor light in this photo.
I’ll be back here in a few weeks though so you can see the finished job then.